Pharmacists Manitoba: Mastering Injections in Pediatrics
Learn about safely and effectively administering injections to young children.
Volume discounts available when you purchase 10 or more! For more information contact [email protected].
Pharmacists and Registered Pharmacy Technicians certified in administering injections can currently administer the COVID-19 vaccine to children as young as 6 months of age. This course contains specific information on the younger group so you can confidently vaccinate this younger cohort.
This course equips pharmacists and registered pharmacy technicians with the knowledge and confidence they need to administer the flu vaccine to young children safely and effectively.
It covers best practices for administration techniques, dosing, pain management and comfort strategies. In addition, you will learn useful information on the management of adverse reactions, documentation guidelines, tips on effective communication with family/caregivers, and the healthcare team.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the administration technique for children under five, including the selection of the appropriate supplies, land marking and injection techniques.
- Identify the appropriate type and dose of vaccine based on the child’s age and previous immunization history.
- Demonstrate awareness of the different pain management and comfort techniques that can be used specifically for children.
- Recognize potential adverse reactions and understand the appropriate treatment, monitoring and follow-up considerations.
- Identify the appropriate documentation and communication procedures necessary for the parent/caregiver and other relevant healthcare professionals.
Course at a glance:
Who should take this course:
Injection-certified pharmacists who will be providing flu shot services to children as young as two years old.