Pharmacy (Store) Insurance
The pharmacy (store) insurance program from the Ontario Pharmacists Association provides a flexible way to protect your retail store and dispensary property, plus your liability exposures, in one seamless, customizable package. Our program was prepared by one of the foremost experts in the industry and includes some of the most comprehensive coverage available.
Tailor-made For You
As a business owner, it is crucial that you protect your assets and your means of doing business from the various risks and losses that could arise. The Ontario Pharmacists Association’s pharmacy (store) insurance program provides a flexible way to protect your retail store and dispensary property and your liability exposures in one seamless package. It consists of coverage in five areas.
- Property insurance protects you against building losses if you are the owner or are responsible to insure it as a tenant. It also protects you against losses of stock, equipment, and merchandise, and provides coverage for such things as glass breakage, loss of revenue, and equipment breakdown.
- Liability insurance protects you against legal responsibility to others injured through your business activities or damage to their property.
- Professional liability for the pharmacy (the Entity) covers your or your employees’ negligent acts, errors, or omissions.
- Crime coverage protects you against losses due to hold-ups, break-ins, counterfeiting, forgery, and dishonest acts of your employees, up to the applicable policy limits.
- Boiler and machinery insurance provides coverage against the breakdown or explosion of units not usually covered in property policies and includes both direct damage and business interruption coverage.
Members of the Ontario Pharmacists Association who participate in this program are insured under a certificate that is drawn under a master policy that is issued to the OPA on their behalf. The descriptions that are set out above are for purposes of summary description only. As with any insurance policy, the master policy wording must be considered paramount, since it alone contains all terms, definitions, exclusions, and conditions that govern the manner in which the coverage will be applied. A certified true copy of the master policy can be accessed under the Forms tab by policy custodian.
The Ontario Pharmacists Association’s pharmacy (store) insurance offers coverage in five areas: property, commercial general liability, professional liability, crime, and boiler and machinery.
The property insurance insures “property of every description” for all property that you own, including buildings, contents, stock, equipment, computers, and signs, up to the limit(s) shown on your certificate of insurance. Business interruption coverage is also included. It covers loss of income as a result of your property or premises being damaged by an insured peril.
The following coverage extensions are available:
- Signs (attached or free-standing): covers the cost to repair or replace signs damaged by an insured peril.
- Glass: covers the cost to replace both interior and exterior glass that is damaged by an insured peril.
- Bailees’ customer coverage: covers up to $50,000 on all lawful goods and articles belonging to customers but accepted by the insured and while temporarily in possession of the insured, on the insured’s premises or being transported by the insured to or from other premises.
- Pandemic outbreak coverage: covers up to $1,000/day for 20 days, the necessary additional expense incurred in order to continue, as nearly as practicable, the “normal” conduct of your business following an order of closure of your business premises by a public health or any other statutory authority as a direct result of an outbreak of a notifiable human communicable disease at your business premises.
- Stock spoilage: covers up to $25,000 for loss of or damage to your stock on your premises caused by dampness or dryness of atmosphere, or change of temperature.
The commercial general liability insurance has a limit of liability of $5,000,000 per occurrence with an annual general aggregate of $10,000,000 and covers the insured against the legal liability imposed by the law for bodily injury or property damage to third parties arising from your business activities. Coverage extends to:
- Bodily injury and property damage: covers you for liability arising from your negligence causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party.
- Personal injury: covers false arrest, wrongful detention and imprisonment, malicious prosecution, libel, slander and defamation of character, and wrongful eviction.
- Tenants’ legal liability: covers your legal liability for compensatory damages because of property damage to the premise you rent or occupy including permanently attached fixtures.
The professional liability covers the pharmacy as an entity and the proprietor(s) and employees of the pharmacy for legal liability arising from injury to patients and customers as a consequence of the rendering, or failure to render, professional services as defined by the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
The coverage is deliberately designed to respond to suits that are brought severally or jointly against the pharmacy, the owners, or the employed professionals. This insurance will pay for the costs of a collective defence on behalf of all of the defendants’ interests, and will pay, on behalf of the defendants, for any judgement that may be awarded by the court in favour of a third-party plaintiff.
Coverage is written in the amount of $5,000,000 with respect to any single claim occurrence, and $5,000,000 in the certificate’s annual aggregate with respect to all claims occurrences.
Crime insurance covers the loss of monies, securities, and other property through the dishonest acts of others. Coverage limit for each pharmacy is as shown on the certificate of insurance. Maximum limits available under the pharmacy (store) insurance program are:
- $25,000 for inside/outside the premises (e.g., lottery tickets, tokens, stamps)
- $25,000 for counterfeit paper currency (i.e. inadvertent acceptance of counterfeit currency in the normal course of business)
- $50,000 for depositor’s forgery (i.e. the forgery or alteration of a cheque, draft or promissory note, including a payroll cheque)
- $100,000 for employee dishonesty (i.e. loss of money, securities or other property through the dishonesty of employees whether alone or in collusion with others)
- $5,000 for overnight coverage of money and securities when not stored in Class 2 burglary safe.
The boiler and machinery insurance provides coverage for property perils that are not generally insured against property policies (e.g. mechanical breakdown, sudden and accidental explosion of pressure vessels, boilers, compressors, air conditioning units, refrigeration equipment, motors, switchgear, and transformers due to artificially generated electricity).
The direct damage and business interruption insurance covers the actual loss sustained by your business as a result of a sudden an accidental breakdown and the loss of profits and extra expenses incurred.
How to Apply?
Send your fully completed pharmacy insurance application by mail, fax, or email to:
595 Bay Street, Suite 900, Box 81
Toronto, ON, M5G 2E3
OPA dedicated phone: 1-855-OPA-7-OPA or 1-855-672-7672
Coverage will be effective once you (the applicant) accept the terms and conditions of the policy. Acceptance should be acknowledged by fax or email to HUB International. If evidence of insurance is required (i.e. for landlord, lessee, or mortgagee), include the name and address of the individual/company with the acknowledgement sent to HUB International.
HUB International will mail the certificate of insurance and invoice upon receipt of the applicant’s acceptance.
Premium payment is to be sent to OPA, since premium collection is administered by the Association.