Methadone, Buprenorphine and the Community (November 2021)
This course meets the training requirements (minimum every five years) for pharmacists dispensing methadone. It also meets the training requirements for those pharmacists who are not required to take the CAMH ODT Core course.
Sunday, November 14, 2021, 9:45am – 3:30 pm
This course consists of one live online session and a post-session multiple-choice exam. Upon registration, you’ll have access to the zoom webinar links (please see “READ ME” in the course).
For those who cannot attend the sessions, recording will be posted in the course after the live session.
Successful completion of this course qualifies as an approved training course as part of their training update for pharmacists dispensing methadone. Updates are required at minimum every five years as indicated in the Ontario College of Pharmacists’ Opioid Policy.
Please note that this course does not replace the CAMH Opioid Use Disorder (OUDT) course, which Designated Managers and pharmacists are required to complete in order to dispense methadone as outlined in the Ontario College of Pharmacists’ Opioid Policy
Opioid Agonist Therapy
- Identify those at risk for opioid use disorder (OUD)
- Discuss treatment options for OUD
- Review safe prescribing and dispensing of opioid agonist therapy (OAT)
- Outline the components of a comprehensive OAT program
- Discuss strategies for interprofessional collaboration and to reduce stigma
Opioid Agonist Therapy: Special Topics
- Identify options for pain control for patients on Opioid Agonist Therapies (OAT)
- Discuss co-prescribing of benzodiazepines with OAT
- Review management of pregnant patients with Opioid Use Disorder (OUD)
- Explore the role of the pharmacist in harm reduction
Policies Guiding Methadone Dispensing in Ontario
- Identify College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) and Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP) policies that pharmacists should refer to when dispensing methadone in Ontario.
- Review current OCP Opioid Policy – formerly Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) and Dispensing Policy
- Review labelling, documentation, and staff training requirements for dispensing methadone
- List required and additional references and resources for dispensing methadone
- Review buprenorphine/naloxone dispensing including list of references and resources briefly
Operationalizing Methadone Dispensing Policies in Ontario
- Review and describe OCP Opioid Policy for dispensing methadone in Ontario
- Describe how OCP Opioid Policy and best practices can be implemented in your pharmacy settings
- Find practical resources and tools to work and run OAMT dispensing pharmacies
Destigmatizing Opioid Use Disorder
- Describe the impact of stigma on patients with opioid use disorder
- Communicate effectively through the use of non-stigmatizing language when dealing with sensitive or discrete issues
Ontario Ministry of Health
Course at a glance:
Who should take this course:
This course is open and applicable to all pharmacy professionals including students and pharmacy technicians. Any pharmacy professionals who are interested in or currently dispensing methadone are welcome to attend.