An Introduction to Caring for Trans Patients in Pharmacy
Learn how to best care for and advocate for your transgender patients.
Multiple studies have shown that there is a knowledge gap when it comes to providing care to transgender patients. This includes pharmacists and other healthcare providers who must improve their training in order to improve the care that trans patients receive.
Too often, transgender patients report having to teach their healthcare providers about trans health issues. Pharmacists, in particular, can position themselves as advisors for their trans patients who are undergoing treatment for puberty suppression or transition therapy.
By bridging the knowledge gap on trans issues and educating themselves on how to best care for their transgender patients, pharmacists can provide a safe space, promoting both acceptance of transgender patients and improving their overall health outcomes.
The purpose of this course is to provide pharmacists with an introduction to caring for trans patients in the pharmacy.
- Define key concepts and LGBTQ+ terms.
- Improve empathy and understanding for trans patients.
- Recognize healthcare disparities and barriers to care for trans patients.
- Describe the role of pharmacists in trans pharmaceutical care.
- Describe accessible trans resources for use in pharmacy practice.
Course at a glance:
Who should take this course:
Pharmacists who would like to improve their knowledge on caring for their trans patients.