POSITION TITLE: Medical Writer
DEPARTMENT: Membership Services
REPORTING TO: Director, Membership & Conference
STATUS: Casual, up to half-time, 12-month contract
LOCATION: *Remote Work from Home*
ABOUT THE ONTARIO PHARMACISTS ASSOCIATION
The Ontario Pharmacists Association is committed to evolving the pharmacy profession and advocating for excellence in practice and patient care. With more than 10,000 members, OPA is Canada’s largest advocacy organization, and professional development provider for pharmacy professionals across Ontario. By leveraging the unique expertise of pharmacy professionals, enabling them to practise to their fullest potential, and making them more accessible to patients, OPA is working to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the healthcare system. The pharmacy sector plays a strong role in Ontario with an economic impact of more than $6.3 billion across 4,700 pharmacies, employing 60,000 Ontarians.
The Medical Writer reports directly to the Director Membership & Conference. Working as part of a team or independently the job holder is responsible for conducting literature searches for, and writing and reviewing, assigned medical writing projects. This position may also assist with estimating the time required for new projects and with the completion of proposals. This is a part-time, casual position where hours may vary from zero to twenty-five hours per week. Ideal for a pharmacist who works part-time or is a stay-at-home-parent, this position allows you to set your own schedule within the confines of each project’s deliverables.
- Working independently or as part of a small team, research and write medical writing projects for both internal (OPA) and external clients. Projects will range in complexity from 500-word blog posts to complex drug reviews for formulary consideration.
- May act as team lead by planning and organizing larger projects.
- Act as first or second reviewer on other medical writers’ projects including checking references, calculations, and accuracy of information and providing suggestions for clarity, missed information and/or brevity.
- Compile all team members’ work into a shared document and apply formatting rules to create the final report for review by the Director.
- May liaise with external clients on project components from time to time.
- Assist with estimating new projects by completing initial literature searches.
- May assist with writing proposals in response to RFPs or Work Order requests.
- May supervise the medical writing projects of pharmacy students completing OPA internships.
- May support other OPA departments with clinical content or reviews.
- Participate in occasional team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must possess and maintain a Part A license through the Ontario College of Pharmacists
- Completion of a pharmacy or industry residency program or equivalent clinical experience an asset
- Minimum 3 years experience with medical writing on a variety of projects
- Minimum of 3 years prior experience in direct patient care required, with excellent understanding of community pharmacy practice and good understanding of one or more of hospital, long-term care and/or collaborative practice (e.g., family health team) settings
- Knowledge of statistical analysis associated with meta-analyses or with pharmacoeconomics is an asset but is not required.
Skills / Knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong understanding of the literature search process using various databases and grey literature sources and the ability to select relevant studies for inclusion.
- Ability to interpret the needs and objectives of a project, succinctly providing the appropriate level of detail and content.
- Skilled in the critical appraisal process for scientific/medical literature (e.g., randomized controlled trials, systematic reviews/meta-analyses).
- Expertise in the use of Microsoft applications including the use of footnotes, endnotes, and Tables of Contents functions.
- Knowledge and familiarity of various referencing styles
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload to meet client deadlines.
What We Offer:
- Competitive hourly rate
- 6% vacation pay
- Free OPA membership
- Exclusive employee perks
- Company sponsored social events
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to send a resume along with their hourly salary expectations to [email protected].
No phone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Those candidates selected for an interview will be expected to provide two samples of their original work where the candidate is the sole or primary author.
The deadline to apply is September 17, 2021.
ACCESSIBILITY AND ACCOMMODATION:
It is important to OPA that all its employees, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.